[mythtv-users] HDMI Connection Problem & Marantz SR5002

PJR pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 08:56:24 UTC 2012

I'm getting a 'no screen found' problem on my mythbuntu ION2 system with
built-in nvidia graphics.  I've got 2 systems I want to connect to a
Samsung TV via HDMI via a Marantz SR5002 also via HDMI. The SR5002 has 3
HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. Computer 1 when connected via SR5002
HDMI-3 port runs perfectly (nvidia 175 driver) as does computer 2
(nvidia 280.13 driver). Connecting computer 1 or 2 via HDM-2 results in
X not running and Xorg.0.log saying nvidia can't find any screens (for
computer 2, computer 1 doesn't say this being an old driver but X
doesn't start). BTW computer 1 runs mythbuntu 8.10 (yes it's old but
it's a 'production' system and just works). Computer 2 runs mythbuntu
11.10, nvidia 280.13. If I boot either computer when connected to
HDMI-2, the X server doesn't start, the log says it can't find a screen
(but computer 2 does display a 640x480 text screen of the boot sequence
but is not complete due to X not starting, I connect in remotely via ssh
to diagnose the problem). If I connect either computer to HDMI-3 and
boot everything is ok. If I then physically disconnect either computer
from HDMI-3 and connect to HDMI-2 then result, everything still works,
ie there is a connection from HDMI-2 through the SR5002 to its HDMI-OUT
and hence to the TV. Question is, is it an nvidia driver problem or the
SR5002? My initial guess was the SR5002 but since booting on HDM-3 and
switch cables to HDM-2 works I'm not convinced, suggesting it's the
nvidia drivers (or both??).  I've also discovered that configuring
computer 2's xorg.conf (connected to HDMI-2) to use the EDID obtained
from computer 1 when connected to HDMI-3 results in the X server
starting but no output on the TV, computer 2's screen being viewed over
VNC.  One option is to upgrade to nvidia 295.33 (current) but would it
solve the problem?  Where is the problem; nvidia or Marantz?