[mythtv-users] Silly Question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 21:47:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 18:46, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Ahh if only it were that simple in Canada. Rogers 'support' personel do not
> know the meaning of the phrase 'cable card'. They think that it is some sort
> of gift subscription that you would have received for your birthday......

Queries to better understand the Canada situation:

It was my (last known) understanding that no cable companies
in Canada support CableCARDs (unlike in the US, there was
never an FCC mandate forcing the issue, so the cable companies
never made it available).  I also thought that prevented the
(full) use of Tivos.

Has that changed?

That said, in Canada, I am also of the understanding that one
can choose to purchase a STB and activate it (which, as I
understand it, uses CableCARDs registered and locked to
a particular provider, so you need to purchase a Rogers
STB, or a Shaw STB, or a ...).

Is that still true?

Gary