[mythtv-users] Silly Question

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Apr 3 20:00:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 02:38:35PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 4/3/2012 13:13, A Desai wrote:
> >Basically that means that if I disconnect my basic cable from
> >Comcast, I will either need a OTA antenna or record via satellite.
> >Since I have both comcast basic and satellite, I wanted to get rid
> >of Comcast basic. Seems like I will have to redo my setup if I
> >want to keep using Myth instead of the satellite DVRs.
>
> If you want to use MythTV instead of hardware DVRs from your content
> provider, you would be much much better off dropping satellite and
> upgrading your Comcast service.  Recording satellite means a
> separate STB rental for each channel you want to simultaneously
> record, an analog capture input for each STB (~$25 for SD, $190 for
> HD), a error prone IR blasting for channel changing.  Recording

    I never had a problem with this really. The IR part was robust
enough. The really problematic part is the STB getting into a funky
state. With Dish, this used to be due to trying to tune in a channel
you didn't subscribe to. This would trigger a sort of modal dialog
box that Tivo couldn't deal with.

    At least with MythTV you could likely script around this problem.

    The STB is really the weakest link.

    A CC tuner is down to whether or not you like your local cable
monopoly and how cool they are with cablecards.

    At least Comcast seems to be better than TWC usually is.

[deletia]