[mythtv-users] Am I cable card ready?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:59:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 19:16, john.baab at gmail.com <john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
> With Comcast your first card is free, and apparently you are supposed
> to get some $2.something discount on your bill as well.  Unless the
> last customer service person I spoke with had that discount wrong, but
> the first card is definitely free.

I agree with the (approximate) pricing values you have provided, but
each franchise *may* have slightly different rates (as has been
seen when people post to this/other lists with their rates).  They
*may* also call the same package by a different name (the left coasts
"Standard Cable" is apparently called "Basic Plus" or "Extended
Basic" in some locations on the right coast).  So the best advice
is to talk to your local franchise for *their* pricing.  What happens
in Vegas stays in Vegas.....  (actually, as I recall, Vegas has Cox,
but the principal remains).

Comcast has been trying, in the past few years, to move to
a consistent nationwide channel lineup approach (called
their Master Channel Lineup), and I think a consistent
marketing naming/feature/pricing strategy (as a nationwide
cable company, I would imagine it makes promoting Comcast
easier), but it all takes time, since some changes may require
renegotiation of the franchise agreements.  Until then, each
franchise may be different (unless, of course, you live in the
same franchise location as Richard, in which case, ignore all
of what I said.)

Gary