[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 04:34:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have Mythtv 0.23 running on Mythbuntu 10.04 XFCE. The box is connected to
Sony HD TV via HDMI cable and the graphics is ATI HD3200 integrated one. My
problem is with HDMI output, or I think it is since I can't find any other
explanation. When I switch on the TV first and then the Mythtv all is fine.
But the other way around I get a black screen. Same happens if I leave the
Mythtv box idle for some time: when I switch back to it I get black screen.
It is like due to some power savings, I assume on the TV side, the HDMI
gets switched off. The only way to fix this is to unplug the HDMI cable
from the TV and plug it back in (sometimes it takes couple of tries).

I tried connecting keyboard and mouse to try to wake up but it didn't work.
They work but the screen is left black which makes me think it
is definitely HDMI input/output problem. I also have the screen saver
turned off on the box. I've tried switching off dpms too but that didn't
help either. I guess the HDMI output is turned off and the box can't read
the EDID from the TV. Is it the ATI driver doing this or the TV I wonder?

Any idea how to solve this? Any workaround?

Just to mention that I had the same thing happening when I was on Mythtv
0.20 and Mythbuntu 8.04 so its not the OS or mythtv release. Interestingly,
I didn't have the same problem with the previous LG HD TV, it started with
the Sony TV. I have most of the power saving modes disabled or put to
minimum in the TV settings.