[mythtv-users] DVD Playback crashing in 0.24-fixes -- workaround

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:18:31 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> On 12-04-01 02:32 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> I've seen several of these tickets, but I can't reproduce the crashing
>> on my system (either because I'm running Master instead of 0.24, or
>> more likely because of some difference on my system).  If you can
>> reproduce the crash reliably, could you try running valgrind on it?
>> Something like:
>>     valgrind --leak-check=yes mythfrontend ...
>
> Well, that was amusing.  Valgrind literally complained of hundreds of errors
> just in mythfrontend startup before the mainmenu got displayed.
> At which point mythfrontend crashed back the desktop, without me ever
> pushing a button or even getting close to the DVD player.

I forgot to mention that you probably want to run the "configure"
script with "--enable-valgrind" which (according to the help message)
disables some timeouts to accommodate the valgrind slowdown factor.
With luck, that's what happened with the crash.  Note that valgrind
may report a lot of false positives that have to be sifted through.
Also, it will report issues in e.g. the Qt libraries which we have no
control over.

> I wonder if "The Devs" ever run this on a beta/rc version before release?

When fixes are made based on feedback from analysis tools, a mention
is usually made in the commit message.  Based on the commit messages,
I would say it's not too common.

Jim