[mythtv-users] How many simultaneous recordings on one drive?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Thu Sep 29 17:39:37 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:27 PM, "Eric Sharkey"
<eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In practice it probably doesn't make a lick of difference, but
> > nevertheless, I run my HDHR and Myth BE on an actual switch. I sleep
> > better that way. :)
>
> Given the low cost of today's actual switches, it's certainly
> affordable to do so.  I can remember when 10Mbs hubs were $100 per
> port, so ~$20/30 for an 8-port 100Mbs/gigabit full duplex switch seems
> like it's practically free to me.
>
> Some people seem to want to use the separate NIC approach because they
> don't understand how switches work and think they're more like hubs.
> Having two network cards certainly works, but it unnecessarily
> complicates things IMO.
>
> Eric

Unless I have read wrong, I just have to set eth1 (the new, dedicated
card) to 169.254.1.10, subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 and the hd homerun
should just connect without an issue. Doesn't seem too hard (won't know
until I get one, though)

>From the manual:
If the HDHomeRun is connected directly to the PC (rather than a switch
or router) it may
take up to 3 minutes for the PC to be able to detect the HDHomeRun. This
delay can be
eliminated by configuring PC's network interface to a static IP address
in the 169.254.x.y
range, subnet mask 255.255.0.0. No default gateway is needed.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com