[mythtv-users] Too much time on LiveTV change

Eduard Huguet eduardhc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:08:00 UTC 2011

Hi, Josu

I'm sorry, but you're beating a dead horse here: standard answer for
this question has been, since MythTV origins, a mix of "don't use
LiveTV & schedule recordings instead", "MythTV is not intended to be
use for LiveTV", "devs are not interested and since they code for fun
etc etc", bla bla bla...

Been a MythTV user since..., heck I don't even remember since when. I
can tell you this question has been brought countless times, and
anyone bringing it has received the very same answers. So, unless you
are willing to take a look yourself at the code and optimize it, I
guarantee you you won't get anything useful from this list regarding
this question.

Anyway, just for the record: delays in LiveTV channel changes are
caused by the way MythTV operates: the backend tunes, then start
recording the ring buffer file, which in turn the frontend is in the
meantime trying to open and read, which can't be done until a number
of seconds ellapse, due to writing buffering issues, non-keyframes
being discarded, etc...

In a nutshell, the whole process sums up a considerable amount of
seconds, but changing it would require a massive rewrite of how LiveTV
playing works. Not trivial, I can assure you.

Kind regards,
  Eduard Huguet