[mythtv-users] Recording two successive shows on the same channel

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Thu Sep 29 10:15:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch> wrote:
> Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>>
>>>If there are two shows following one another and matching the same rule,
>>>MythtTV stops recording the first show and starts to record the second,
>>>so that the first one is broken for export. As I have two tunercards it
>>>must be possible to solve this problem.
>>>
>>>Example:
>>>
>>>16:00-16:30 The Big Bang Theory (s02e03)
>>>16:30-17:00 The Big Bang Theory (s02e04)
>>
>> There is an option to add hard padding to a recording - the boxes are
>> down the bottom of the extended options list in the recording rules
>> page (and you can set the defaults for new rules in the settings
>> somewhere).
>
> Ah, thank you. I found a dialog I have never seen before:
> settings|TV|Priorities|Recordings. There is an option to avoid
> back-to-back recordings on the same card. Let's see how it works.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

Awesome! I'd been wondering if this was possible for ages, but I never
thought to look there. I set it to Always and enabled soft padding,
and everything is working the way I want. It also appears that MythTV
will still prefer making back-to-back recordings on the same tuner
over bumping a recording to a tuner with a lower priority.