[mythtv-users] How many simultaneous recordings on one drive?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Sep 28 20:00:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 09:08 -0700, Douglas Peale wrote:
> In my experience, if you have the database on the same drive as the recordings, the limit is zero recordings.
> The number of recordings is nearly irrelevant, it is other things like the database that swamp the disk IO for long enough to
> cause the recording to miss data.

While I would still recommend putting the database on it's own spindle
if you run into any performance issues, modern drives are pretty fast.
Since SATA replaced PATA local disk I/O has only been an issue for the
more extreme setups. I should note that the MythTV architecture also
improved, we write to the DB in it's own thread, read from the device
in it's own thread and write to the disk in it's own thread. This
decouples operations that could cause problems in the early days.

-- Daniel