[mythtv-users] How many simultaneous recordings on one drive?

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 16:15:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> A drive like that should handle about 75MB/s.  A typical HD recording
> from cable is about 5GB/hour, which works out to less than 2MB/s.
>
> I think you'll be fine.

I disagree, with the db and os on the drive the issue isn't sequential
io, it is random io.  Remember that the drive will be reading and
writing to the db while doing all those recordings.
I'd recommend getting another drive for the OS/DB, once you do that
you should be able to handle a large number of recordings on your 2TB
drive.