[mythtv-users] PXE booting (was Spin up delay for HDDs)

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Sep 27 16:45:29 UTC 2011

 >> I have really good experience with PXEboot after switching image
 >> download from ftptp to gpxe.
 >> My image has 104MB, and via tftp IIRC it is downloaded about about
 >> 15-20sec (GB LAN).

 >Why the hell is your image so large? The image should contain the
 >kernel, and the minimal amount of drivers and software needed to
 >bootstrap the remote disks and continue startup. My old 32-bit NFS
 >images were around 2MB total.

@Raymond

Direct reason for so huge image file that I have is RAM based root
file system containing frontend+all needed environment (Qt, perl, py,
etc) + mplayer.

I chose this approach intentionally as for me important was:

1.minimalistic relation between master server and FE (ideally only myth
protocol)

2.simplest maintenance (ideally if fe upgrade by simple upgrade of one
file)

3.easy decoupling between boot infrastructure (home DHCP/tftp)&
software repo (http based so I can have it on any location - if speed is
reasonable).

 From above list I really like 1&  2.

1\ because I have some issues in myth when home dir is NFS based. Also
RAM based approach compared to NFS removes some potential OS
glitches/slowdowns related to network delay/reliability (especially when
there is many clients) on on wire I have only app traffic.

2\ it allows me quite easy distribute new versions of myth via Internet
quite the same way like winblows distributes patches. Basically user
selects on UI "upgrade Your system" and package manager do all magic in
background via Internet).

Sure, both above are also feasible with NFS, but I found arranging above
is easier with RAM based approach.

Oh, btw - in respect of 1\

I'm really looking forward for storage groups support in mythgallery&
mythmusic.

Those 2 are last reason why my disk-less appliance still have to do
nfs[cifs] mounts at boot time :-(

br