[mythtv-users] Cooling data centres (Was: raid array spin down possible?)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Sep 27 14:42:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Where huge savings can be made is by not "cooling" the datacentre at
> all - but instead just use outside air at whatever temperature it
> comes in at. In relative terms, blowing outside air in (through
> filters) is very cheap compared with active cooling.

Data centers aren't air conditioned...they are climate controlled. The
problem with piping in outside air is that you have no control over
its humidity. If the humidity is too high, you can get condensation
inside your systems. Too low and you have static problems. Neither is
desirable for computers. You may be able to pipe in the outside air
and then try and regulate that by adding or removing humidity as
necessary, but I'm not sure how much you'll save (and how much it will
be offset by the increased cost of a more complex system). If you need
to remove humidity, that basically amounts to running an air
conditioner, thus defeating the purpose.

--
Ron Frazier