[mythtv-users] Spin up delay for HDDs

Alex Tomlins alex at tomlins.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:55:24 UTC 2011

On 26/09/11 18:42, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:19:07 -0500
> digid myth<digidmyth at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have 9 drives in my system with a 400 watt PS, see my configuration
>> at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/492094#492094 I
>> do not come close to the limits of the power supply on boot, so you
>> should not have a problem.
> Thanks for the info. It looks as if I could keep my PSU.
> Btw: You boot your FEs with PXE. How long does it take to boot them?
> I'm thinking of PXEing my FEs too.
I'm PXE booting one of my frontends (roughly following
http://www.mythbuntu.org/wiki/network-boot-mythbuntu-diskless), and it
boots in around 30 seconds. Around half of that is the Bios stage etc.

I'm running this on a gigabit network, and before I upgraded the switch
it was a fair bit slower, but still probably under a minute.

The only problem I have with it is that suspend doesn't work properly.
I think that's because the suspend process takes the network down too
soon, and then the root filesystem is unavailable to continue the
process.  Other than that it works well.

thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Tomlins
Email/Jabber: alex at tomlins.org.uk

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who finish what they started