[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24.1, Ubuntu 11.04 and MHEG on Freeview UK

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 15:50:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 15:53 +0100, Paul wrote:
> I am no longer getting the 'Press the Red Button' logo on the BBC News 24
> channel. When I press the 'red button' on my remote all I get in the logs is
> 'Adding MHEG key MENURED:100:1' but nothing happens on screen. I am in the
> Sandy Heath transmitter area, and have had to do 2 recent retunes, but my
> TV's built in Freeview still shows the 'red button' logo. I have checked my
> settings and I have 'Interactive TV' checked in MythTV settings.

Try running mythfrontend with '-v mheg,extra' and post me a link to the
log and I'll see if there's an obvious problem.

> I compile MythTV myself from source and had no problem on the previous
> version of Ubuntu (installed as minimal install). I have also tried to patch
> the MythTV 0.24.1 source using the BBC iPlayer MHEG patch
> (http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/iplayer.diff) but it fails to
> patch the source and just says hunk failed and saving rejects.

The iplayer.diff patch is designed to add 'interaction channel' i.e.
iPlayer capability and is not any kind of bug fix or update.  The patch
should be applied to current git fixes/0.24.  Make sure that you have
the latest patch, it was last updated on 6th September.

Try this:
# skip this if you already have a myth repo
git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git

wget http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/iplayer.diff
cd mythtv
git checkout fixes/0.24
git clean -fxd .
git pull
patch -p1 < ../iplayer.diff

If the patch still fails then your repo is probably corrupt.

Then run ./configure and make as normal.

After the patch is applied you must provide http connectivity from the
box to the BBC.  Without a connection the MHEG code can take 60 seconds
to timeout before displaying the old 'Red button' logo.  To disable the
interaction channel set this environment variable:
MYTHMHEG=noice

> I am using a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 and a PCTV Nanostick T2 290e and there is
> no 'red button' on either tuner.

It may be a technical problem with the Sandy Heath transmitter.  The red
button logo is alive and well on Freesat today.

> All help appreciated,
>
> Paul

Lawrence