[mythtv-users] OT? Shuttle + ProRAID or Obsidian case for i3/i5 Myth BE ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 22 15:45:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 05:50:06PM -0600, linux guy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:
>
> > On 9/21/2011 19:26, linux guy wrote:
> > > Is anyone using a Shuttle and liking or hating it ?  I've looked at
> > > them for a long time and never pulled the trigger on one.
> >
> > I wouldn't bother with a shuttle or any other similar SFF machine unless
> > I intended it to sit on my desk or next to my TV, such that a small
> > machine would be aesthetically needed.  I have similar wireframe shelves
> > bolted to my basement walls and just have standard beige boxes sitting
> > on them.
> >

> I can live with that and, in fact, started out with a Dell mini tower.  The
> problem with that is needing 4 or more drive bays. (  1 OS drive and 4 x
> 1+TB data drives.)  The mini tower then becomes a mid tower.
>
> I also HATE getting drives in and out of towers when they are buried in the
> front of the case.  Enter the Obsidian, with sides that open with 2 latches,
> side removable drive bays, etc.

    If convenience is something you're after then put hot swap trays into the
5.25 drive bays in the front. I would avoid any setup that requires opening
the main case for any reason.

    Something else to consider is an esata JBOD chassis. You can get them in
8 drive configurations pretty cheaply and use the included pci-e card to hook
them up to any PC with a free slot. This could be something to pair with a
smaller (cube) case that isn't built to store a lot of drives inside.

[deletia]