[mythtv-users] unable to change channel when I've reached max number recordings on tuner

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Sep 19 17:31:36 UTC 2011

On 19/09/11 12:12, Tim Draper wrote:
> i have a dual DVB-S2 card, that can handle multiplex recording (so
> guaranteed simultaneous 2 recordings, possibly 4 depending on channel
> multiplex)
>
> mythtv is setup to 'avoid recording conflict with liveTV'.
>
> i was recording 2 shows at the weekend, and i decide to watch one of the
> recordings via live TV.
> liveTV opened up on the wrong channel, so i goto guide, find the channel
> that was being recorded, that i wanted to watch that recorded show 'live',
> but i was unable to. mythtv guide showed the channel in white (rather than
> Teal), which implied i was able to switch channel.
>
> why couldn't I change channel to something i was recording?
> I hope I've explained the scenario correctly...

I'm not going to answer your direct question, as someone else can probably
explain it more clearly. But...

If you have a recording going, then you should just be able to watch it (from
the beginning, if you wish!) simply by finding it in your media library. It will
probably be a different colour since it is still going, but there's no reason
you can't watch it.

Don't forget, if you access LiveTV what you are really doing is recording
another copy of the program onto disk, which then gets dumped... cue thrashing
of heads on disks as both get recorded - *and* both get seek info written to the
database at the same time!

--

Mike Perkins