[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 PCI-express cards

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:25:39 UTC 2011

> Thank you for this. TBS seem to be making good cards now. I think TBS
> have overtaken Hauppauge in the DVB-S sector now as far as quality of
> the PCI/PCIe cards.
> Fourtunately, I use one box for the backend, and a different box for
> the frontend.
> The backend has the HD storage and DVB cards. I might even be moving
> to a separate box for the DVB cards sometime. I could then put the DVB
> cards up right next to the dish, and this would improve the loss and
> S/N ratio.

this is one of the things i am planning; it would solve a load of 'issues'
(be it fan noise, or driver conflicts). it would require re-wiring the sat
cables, and also a more powerful server (im thinking an upcoming virtualbox
install that can handle PCI(e) passthru).

i dont forsee any issues at all with this setup, so if you are planning
having separate BE and FE, then TBS would be ideal :)

best of all, the 6981 comes with both a full and low height PC bracket, so
your unrestricted in terms of case you can use.