[mythtv-users] 3 Mux but recording schedule indicating using 4 tuners?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Sep 18 13:00:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have two dvb-s cards set up and each is set to record up
> to four streams (ie physical + 3 virtual). Both are connected to the
> same video source.
>
> I now want to add two dvb-T tuners (HDHR actually). The will do
> multirec too. The dvb-t has the same programming lineup as dvb-s, but
> the kicker is that dvb-t is in HD whereas dvb-s is only SD.
>
> What is the best way to set this up so that recordings prefer the
> DVB-T tuners as much as possible. I assume I use the same video source
> for all tuners (it's an xmltv downloader).

As Mike Perkins mentioned, you may not want to reuse the same source.
Even if there aren't different/extra channels as he suggested, one
difference between your guide data for the SD and HD channels is that
the HD version would have it noted in the guide data when a program is
on HD. This is useful if you want to give a priority adjustment to HD
programming to attempt to ensure a program gets recorded in HD.

> Should I delete all capture cards and start with the DVB-T cards so
> that they get greatest priority?

Yeah, that's what I'd do. Delete all records (and make sure it's the
"delete all" option, not "delete all on this host"). Then add the
DVB-T tuners 1 at a time, immediately setting each one for 4
simultaneous recordings (if you forget to set one for 4 right away,
don't go back and increase it after...delete everything and start over
again from scratch). Then add your DVB-S recorders in the same manner.

> Also I don't watch livetv, but the kids sometimes do. How should I
> ensure recordings prioritise the DVB-T tuners but live prioritises the
> -S tuners?

There's an options somewhere labeled something like "avoid conflicts
with live tv", which will tell myth to try to use the last tuner
available for live tv.

If you have multiple frontends that watch Live TV simultaneously, you
might want to go to the additional step of adding a 5th recorder to
each tune. First, setup each tuner with 4 simultaneous recordings as
described above. Then when finished, go back to each of your DVB-T
tuners and increase it to 5. Then increase each of your DVB-S tuners
to 5 also. This will ensure that if 2 people watch live tv at the same
time, they won't end up both using the same physical tuner (which
would restrict each other's ability to change channels).

--
Ron Frazier