[mythtv-users] Spin down drives

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 22:39:08 UTC 2011

2011/9/17 Jos Hoekstra <joshoekstra at gmx.net>:

>>> Most likely not. Since neither of these will allow direct access to
>>> the hardware.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> Hello, I just buy an other drive, is the same as the other, is USB
>> boxed, so I have double problem, xD.
>>
>> I try the instruction on this page:
>> http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=20907
>>
>> I burn the CD with wdidle3.exe on, but when I execute I got this (the
>> drive is attached (USB):
>>
>> C:\ISOLINUX>wdidle3.exe
>> WDIDLE Version 1.03
>> Copyright (C)...
>> Configure Idle3.
>> Model: HTS54...
>> Serial: MPB4P...
>> This is not a WD disk drive.
>>
>> My drive is this:
>>
>> Model Number:       WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
>> Serial Number:      WD-WCA.........
>> Firmware Revision:  51.0AB51
>> Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev
>> 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6
>>
>> How could I execute it?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>
> If you run the program it must be connected via a controller in
> IDE-mode, it doesn't work with AHCI or RAID-mode. It also doesn't like
> USB convertors used in USB -enclosures....

Thanks Jos, I try it with the internal one. I boot with LiveCD and I enter this:

C:\ISOLINUX>wdidle3.exe /D
WDIDLE3 Ver...
Copyrig...
Configure idle3.
Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial: WD-WMAZ********
Idle3 Timer is enabled and set to 3720 seconds (62.0 minutes).

It looks well, I start again my Debian boot, but it has no get in standby:

# hdparm -C /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 drive state is:  active/idle
# hdparm -S 1 /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 setting standby to 1 (5 seconds)

(wait 10 seconds)

# hdparm -C /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 drive state is:  active/idle

Sorry for my newby questions, I reading lots of web, but it doesn't work.

Thanks for all.

Regards.
--
Josu Lazkano