[mythtv-users] Playback problem with VDPAU

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 17 15:32:37 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 10:25 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello, thanks for the reply. I just change the playback profile to
> cpu+, but I am having more stops on the playback.

Don't use any of the CPU+ ,CPU++ or CPU-- Playback Profile groups.  They
have been removed from development MythTV because they're just plain bad
ideas.  They depend on old and bad ways of decoding the video--using
XvMC or PVR-350 decoder.

Instead, you should use Slim as the "try to get things working" Playback
Profile group (since it's the simplest--and is basically what MythTV
used before we had Playback Profiles) or one of the VDPAU Playback
Profile groups (if your video card supports VDPAU).

So, since you're testing whether VDPAU decoding is the problem, try
Slim.  Note, though, that Slim presumes that you have a CPU capable of
decoding and deinterlacing in software (so won't work for an Atom user
who's trying to decode HDTV recordings, for example).

Mike