[mythtv-users] 3 Mux but recording schedule indicating using 4 tuners?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Sep 17 03:57:19 UTC 2011

You left out a lot of information. How many simultaneous recordings on
each tuner, how many programs are record, and a whole bunch of other
stuff about the actual schedule and channel lineup. But even without
that info, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've got your
recorders configured wrong. It's been a very common thing around here
for people to have defined their recorders in the wrong order,
resulting in an ordering that tends to make least effective use of
multirec. I'm guessing your recorders are configured as follows:

Tuner 1 - Physical
Tuner 2 - Physical
Tuner 3 - Physical
Tuner 4 - Physical
Tuner 1 - Virtual 1
Tuner 2 - Virtual 1
Tuner 3 - Virtual 1
Tuner 4 - Virtual 1
Tuner 1 - Virtual 2
etc

The problem there is, any other recording on the same mutliplex are
going to want to use their own physical tuner, and will only resort to
grabbing a virtual tuner when all physical tuners are busy. The
correct way to do it is:

Tuner 1 - Physical
Tuner 1 - Virtual 1
Tuner 1 - Virtual 2
Tuner 2 - Physical
Tuner 2 - Virtual 1
etc

This way, a recording will try to grab the first virtual tuner that's
already tuned to it's multiplex.

Granted, even this mechanism can fail in some circumstances,
especially in a busy schedule where lots of recordings are starting
and stopping. Perhaps you've got your tuners correctly configured and
are just hitting one of these circumstances.

--
Ron Frazier