[mythtv-users] MythTV and Hauppage HVR-950Q

James Cobban webmaster at Jamescobban.net
Thu Sep 15 19:45:27 UTC 2011

I am extremely frustrated trying to get MythTV to work with the Hauppage
HVR-950Q.  As I scan the forums and mailing lists I see thousands of
people with support issues with this product.

I am trying to run MythTV 0.24 on Ubuntu 11.04 receiving OTA ATSC
signals from rabbit ears.

   1. When I try to configure the HVR-950Q I am not given the option of
      scanning for channels.  I have tried setting after setting, and
      that option is NEVER enabled.
   2. When asked what type of television I am looking for I am not given
      the option of ATSC, just NTSC.  How do I tell it I want to receive
      the digital signals that are the only ones transmitted OTA in
      North America now.
   3. When I start up the front-end it complains that it cannot find the
      back-end based upon the mythtv-setup setting.  However when I look
      at the setting in the back-end setup it is 127.0.0.1 as one would
      expect as the default.  How hard is it for the front-end to make
      that connection?
   4. I HATE MythTVs proprietary user interface with its refusal to
      cooperate with the window manager or respond to any standard
      commands.  MythTV just grabs the whole screen and then demands
      some secret incantation to release it.  After 5 minutes of trying
      to find a key sequence that would shut the front-end down I
      finally gave up and pressed the power button!  I pressed ESC
      several times until a dialog popped up with a choice of No to
      continue or Yes to shut down, but I could not find any keystroke
      that would act on the Yes.  Is it too much to ask that the dialog
      TELL the user what keystrokes to use for a particular function?
      Why has nobody ever thrown a Gtk or Kde wrapper around this abortion?
   5. Similarly I find it frustrating trying to maneuver through the
      various panes of the backend setup using only keystrokes that I
      have to guess at because NONE of the panels explain what
      keystrokes to use for what purpose.

The HVR-950Q works when I test it under Windoze with the WinTV software
that came with it, so the hardware is fine.

This is just too complicated.  I should not have to be a technical
genius to record a few TV shows!

Jim Cobban webmaster at jamescobban.net
<mailto:webmaster at jamescobban.net?subject=Email%20Message>
Web-site: www.jamescobban.net <http://www.jamescobban.net/>