[mythtv-users] PVR-150s failing to record

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:34:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Anthony Zawacki <azmail at thezawackis.com> wrote:
> Robin Gilks wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've recently upgraded my backend from CentOS 5 (standard kernel)/
>>> MythTV .19 to CentOS 6 (standard kernel)/ MythTV 24.1-fixes
>>> (v0.24.1-78-g8b9e5ce) after having MythTV running successfully for
>>> probably close to 5 years.  I have a headless master backend and two
>>> frontends.
>>>
>>> Getting use to the new version has taken some time, but I'm running into
>>> a few different issues, and I'm not sure where or how to start debugging
>>> them.  I have 2 PVR-150s connected to two dish network receivers via
>>> S-Video.  Everything works fairly well for two to three days after which
>>> the both of the cards stop recording.  When this happens, the only way
>>> to fix it is to reboot the machine.  Stopping and restarting mythbackend
>>> does not fix the problem.
>>
>> I'm also getting problems with a PVR150 connected via svideo to an STB and
>> have up to now put it down to the hardware going bad. As you my system has
>> been very stable for over 5 years but in the last 2-3 months (since
>> updating to 0.24) I've been getting this random failure.
>
> I wouldn't expect the hardware going bad in this case.  For me, and it
> sounds like for you as well, the backend records perfectly for 2-3 days,
> then suddenly it stops working.  So far, the only fix is a reboot.  I
> hadn't tried rmmod'ing and modprobe'ing the drivers...
>
> When it happens to you, you also see the "failure to change the channel"
> error in the backend log?  Or do you see something different?

I have seen some people talk about replacing the capacitors on these
boards, maybe there is a hardware problem? Don't discount it.

In the meantime, although a windowsish solution, how about rebooting
from a cron script every couple of days, at some time in the middle of
the night when the system is not usually busy recording?