[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:00:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was unable to get a detailed list of steps from the engineer.  He
>> did say that he knows what went wrong and has put in a request for a
>> fix.  Unfortunately, it may only affect my local Comcast.  He admitted
>> that they have no formal procedure for adding a CableCard or to
>> resolve problems.  They are figuring it out as we speak.  Yikes!  On a
>> good note, they do have a dedicated group of CableCard engineers.
>
> I finally got my HDHR Prime yesterday.  Comcast may be getting things
> figured out.  I went to my local office and they had the cable card
> self install kits readily available, which included the card and a
> little booklet of instructions and a much larger booklet with the
> official privacy notification.
>
> I called the number they gave me and spoke to an engineer who answered
> the phone on the first ring and he took my info and put me on hold.
> Eventually another engineer picked up and asked how he could help me.
> Apparently I'd been transferred without any useful information given
> to the new engineer.  I gave my info again and shortly after that the
> card showed "Card Activation: Success" on the HDHR Prime status web
> page.
>
> Unfortunately, I still haven't successfully tuned any encrypted
> channels.  I have the channel list, but if I get the status on any
> encrypted channel I get either something like:
>
>  vch=122 name=COOKING CHANNEL auth=unknown cci=none cgms=none
>
> or this:
>
>  vch=126 name=CARTOON NETWORK auth=subscribed cci=protected-copyonce cgms=n/a
>
> neither of which can be tuned.  Unencrypted channels show like:
>
>  vch=272 name=WPPX-HD auth=unknown cci=none cgms=unrestricted
>
> and these I can record and watch just fine.
>
> Something clearly isn't right, but I haven't yet had the time to call back.
>
>> My high-up contact at Comcast fixed ALL the channels that were
>> incorrectly marked copy-once.
>
> Do you have any non-premium channels still marked as copyonce?  I seem
> to have quite a few.

comcast in my area refuses to put me through to the local engineer.
I've had to go through one of their phone people (who at least is nice
and calls me back almost daily), the problem is she doesn't know
anything about this stuff, and so I know what I'm trying to tell the
engineer about the CCI values being wrong is not getting through, they
think I'm having another problem and want to send a tech out.

ARGH.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!