[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Sep 13 16:03:52 UTC 2011

On 9/13/2011 08:33, Ian Clark wrote:
> On 12 September 2011 19:34, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>> >  MythTV is designed to run full screen, so there is little to know use in
>> >  running a full desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome that you will
>> >  never see.  That said, MythTV is not a window manager, and should not be
>> >  run without one.
> If you're running it as the only GUI on the box you really don't need
> to bother with a window manager for myth, it's only extra crud waiting
> to draw window furniture it'll never need.
>
> I've run myth and XBMC without a window manager for years.

A window manager doesn't just render window borders, it is used to
control focus and Z-depth.  There are issues with running multiple X
clients.  There are issues with running multiple windows on a single
client.  It is only fortunate happenstance that you have not yet run
into any issues just running MythTV, much less MythTV and XBMC side by
side.  It just seems senseless to operate without a window manager when
evilwm on one of my frontends is consuming a whole 720 bytes of physical
memory, and another 26K of virtual address space.