[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue Sep 13 07:14:19 UTC 2011

On 9/12/11 11:00 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> On Monday, September 12, 2011 1:38 PM, "linux guy"
> <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great discussion people.  I really appreciate the replies.  I'm all
>> ears for whatever hasn't been said yet.   Just call me Sponge !
>>
> Ok, then I will be the dissenter and write what was said in some myth
> faq somewhere... running X doesn not have a terrible impact on
> performance, it is easier to run mythtv-setup with it installed, and
> if you install a small DE like fluxbox or icewm, you are barely
> impacting your overall system.  In todays HD space, you aren't taking
> up anything percentage-wise by installing them, and then they are
> there when you need it.  You can always drop to init 3 on a normal
> basis (but I don't see the reason).
> With today's processors/memory/hd space, it isn't something worth
> going through the effort to do.
> --
> Kris B.
> krisbee at krisbee.com <mailto:krisbee at krisbee.com>

Oh - I fully agree. Basically, You are referring to my arguments. I put
them in mail as this is rationale part of project.
Another thing is motivation.
Setup server in a way such has good learning curve. Also I decided not
to blindly download,install,use but rather do something exactly
reflecting my needs and build thing which is doing them in a way exactly
I want.
Target wasn't "simple box with running BE" but rather base for purpose
build appliance serving my house. This is in fact part of bigger project.
This is also better brain exercise than watching TV recordings on MythTV
:-))))).

For me Q is how OP wants to approach problem. He can take opportunistic
approach (i.e. download any distro with myth and kick init 3 or 5 or
wathever). Absolutely nothing wrong with this.
He also can take i.e. Arch, install prebuild packages, do 5min config
and forget about it (as it running really well).
But he also may want to take some more ambitious approach. It depends
what he wants to achieve in long term.
You know, I was 4y user of Knoppmyth (thx Cecil), 1.5y Debian.
I move to fully controlled system not by accident. There are many
reasons for doing this. Price in my case was time.
br