[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:42:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> MythTV is designed to run full screen, so there is little to know use in
> running a full desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome that you will
> never see.  That said, MythTV is not a window manager, and should not be
> run without one.  Look at ratpoison, or evilwm, or icewm, or
> enlightenment, or fluxbox.

The Myth front end runs full screen.   The back end, if running a split
system, doesn't require any display at all, except for doing maintenance.

I'm talking about running a split system where there is one backend server
and many front ends.

I am asking about the pros and cons of installing a GUI OS on the backend
only.  Of course I'll install a GUI OS on the front end.

Thanks !