[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:18:13 UTC 2011

I'm about to start building my Myth backend and I can't seem to find
anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora 15)
as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.

So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I shouldn't
install KDE when I set it up ?

Is there any great disadvantage to running the server in init level 5 (ie
KDE, xorg, etc) running in the background, but not being logged in, versus
init level 3 ? (Or whatever they call these things these days..., ie F15
uses systemd...)

FWIW, my backend hardware will sit on a server rack in the utility room.  I
might drag a display and keyboard down there once in a while to troubleshoot
and/or do maintenance, but mostly I'd ssh in and probably use a remote
desktop app to work on it.

FWIW, I'm OK doing things via the CLI, but sometimes its really nice to have
graphical tools.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks