[mythtv-users] How reliable is Commercial skip?

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 11 11:28:27 UTC 2011

On 11 Sep 2011, at 08:22 AM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Robert Longbottom
> <rongblor at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Are you saying the database setting to define an alternate commercial
>>> flagger is being reset to default? Or are you actually just replacing
>>> the physical file with the alternate?
>>
>> The latter. The approach taken on that wiki page is to replace the mythcommflag binary with a shell script that runs the custom silence detect method for certain White listed channels or runs the original mythcommflag for anything else. In reality I think I have all of my channels in the White list anyway.
>>
>> So when I update mythtv to the latest fixes it replaces the wrapper script with the "correct" binary version of mythcommflag and I have to remember to go in and put the script back. (which I usually forget to do for a few days)
>>
>> It's hardly a major ball ache but it would be nice if someone with sufficient knowhow implemented that commflagging approach in mythtv directly :-)
>
> You haven't answered why you're not using the setting designed for
> just such an occasion? Just set JobQueueCommFlagCommand to point at
> your script and stop fussing with shuffling the actual binary...
>
> - Chris

Fair point.

When I set up the alternative commflagging method I wasn't aware of that setting and so I just followed the instructions on the wiki at the time which said to replace the mythcommflag binary and it worked nicely and I was happy.

I think it's only in the past few weeks I saw a post on the mailing list that mentioned that setting and I havent yet got round to doing anything about it.  I've not had much time to play with myth recently and Ive just been using it. I'm sure I'll go back to tinkering as the winter weather kicks in. It would still be nice to see that silence detect approach integrated into myth though because it seems to work pretty well here in the UK.

Cheers,
Robert.