[mythtv-users] What Tuner Did a Recording Come From?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 10 20:26:09 UTC 2011

On 09/10/2011 05:28 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Saying the info may change with each reboot is a red herring, since (i) if your
> capture card arrangement is complex enough that the order of numbering matters,
> you would have set up udev rules to enforce consistency

No.  I have 4x pcHDTV HD-3000, and have absolutely no udev rules for
them.  However, when one of them fails...

I think this configuration--with multiple of the same type of capture
card and no udev rules--is far more common than you think.  Otherwise,
because of the sheer unfriendliness of udev configuration, I would
expect we'd see a /lot/ more threads about (or having problems caused by
not) configuring udev rules for recorders.

IMHO, we shouldn't be storing "transient" information permanently.  We
give the relevant information in the log files, there are scripts to
make it easier to access (such as which_recorder.pl, which can output
the information either on the console with the --text argument or in the
miscellaneous status section of the backend status page), and users can
use anything from a post-processing cron job, as Ron suggested to a
log-watcher application (like swatch or whatever) to get the information
and store it in whatever location they like.  And, that way, they can
customize the setup for their specific configuration.

Besides, you'll see easier ways of accessing it from the logs in the future.

Mike