[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 14:41:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> > I would suggest
> > that you try it since you are looking for solutions and see what it
> really
> > does instead of dismissing it.
>
> Well, it seems I cannot try this test since something very hinkey is
> going on.  I removed the override that I placed prior to force
> everything onto the digital tuner and the new schedule is now using the
> other tuners for the conflicts that were previously there.  I am
> absolutely most definitely positive it was not before.

Perhaps something changed in the guide data from then to now that allowed
the scheduler to make that decision.  I often find that suboptimal
scheduling is resolved by the time I'm closer to the scheduled date out due
to changes in the guide.

> The scheduler has still left one conflict but that's because it's
> arrangement of recordings on digital and analog tuners is less than
> optimal and has exhausted the number of tuners.  I'd still argue that it
> should try harder, and to that I'd argue that if there really is some
> simple threshold value on the number of passes the scheduler makes and
> if given an infinite value for that threshold the scheduler would
> produce the most perfect fit schedule then that threshold should be user
> configurable.  Let *me* decide how much resource I give to the scheduler.
>
> At least tell me where in the code this threshold value is, please.

You'd have to talk to a developer that knows the code.  That would not be
me.

Kevin