[mythtv-users] How reliable is Commercial skip?

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Thu Sep 8 21:17:00 UTC 2011

I am going out on a ledge being a new user, but from all that I
read, it really depends on where you are, and the station.

I understand in the UK the transitions are quicker, and thus,
less "reliable" than the US.  In the US, and depending on whether
it is an affliate, etc, there tends to be a longer break period,
and more of a fade to black, a bug, and those things that the
commercial detection is looking for.  Since primetime network
shows usually have a black hole in them where stations are meant
to insert a commercial or two (usually one, if I am not mistaken,
and not every break), there is more space for these things to
occur - however, if someone at MC (master control) is sloppy, it
can cause problems with the detection as well.

Things with open and close slates with the breaks seem to do
best, in my opinion.  So does animated shows to me...  Some
things, do worse, so if you aren't transcoding and cutting them
out (which I do for many shows and have them available on my roku
in my bedroom) - just using the commercial skip button when a
break comes does best.
--
Kris B.
[1]krisbee at krisbee.com

On Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:19 PM, "Tim Draper"