[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Sep 8 20:17:51 UTC 2011

On 11-09-08 04:07 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> The problem, I think, is with priorities. Myth doesn't seem to
> understand equal priorities so well...it will ALWAYS favor something.

Indeed, it has to.

> If the priority modifiers end up the same, then it will just favor the
> recorder defined first.

Right.  In this case though everything was being recorded on the same
multirec-configured digital tuner (which was defined first, although
that is moot in this case).

It was the choice among the various channels that a program was being
shown on that was causing the conflict.  In this case by simply moving a
given recording (that was being shown on more than one channel) from one
channel to another allowed the conflicting program to record which was
being shown on a different sub-channel in the same multiplex to record.

> So that's my guess...even though you could
> manually rearrange them to get the same results, for some reason it
> favors one of those shows and doesn't want to bump it to a
> less-favored recorder.

But it had nothing to do with multiple recorders and the scores of them
but simply re-arranging which channels on the same recorder that it used
which allowed the conflict to be resolved.

I get that the scheduler doesn't try every permutation to get a best fit
but instead stops at a "good fit", but a fit that leaves conflicts where
they need not be isn't even a "good fit" IMHO.

FWIW, there were even other (analog) tuners available that the scheduler
could have recorded the conflicting programs on (i.e. the good fit, vs.
the best fit) but it didn't even try that.

b.