[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

John Werner flybrick at frontiernet.net
Thu Sep 8 17:58:12 UTC 2011

I've seen this before and tried to blame the scheduler.  After a bit of a fuss, I
finally found the real issue.  There were overlaps in the recording.  Usually the overlap was < 1 minute, but there were really overlaps.  If you have 2 recordings and there is an overlap of any amount, you will need two cards (not one) to record them both.

"Hidden" overlaps can come from several places.

1) One of the shows is scheduled (by the provider) to run longer (e.g.  6:00 - 7:01)

2) You have manually edited the show to record longer.  (My wife had me setup American Idol for this since it always runs long.)

3) Somewhere, buried in one of the configuration menus, are options that allow you to specify the pre- and post-roll times for all recordings (not just one show).  The pre-roll (which may be called something else), is how much before the shows official start to start recording.  Post-roll is how long after the shows scheduled end to keep recording.  These are often used to compensate for times not always being synchronized between stations.

Try looking around your show settings and see if one of these might be happening.

- John
--
John Werner
  http://www.snowtire.info