[mythtv-users] How to make "Record this program in This Timeslot every ..." more tolerant to late arrival EPG changes ?

blind_Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:26:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Bart Delva wrote:

[snip]
> Apparantly in Belgium the main broadcaster is changing the EPG rather
> frequently during the day.

Two reasons spring to mind.  The system is run by people who do not
know what they are doing, or it is run by people who know what they
are doing and circumstances have changed.  Either way the best that
you can hope for is a robust failure mode.

> If I make a schedule to record a daily show using
> the "in this timeslot" option for a show that starts at 6h30pm and it gets
> rescheduled to 6h31 the show does not get recorded at all.

None of the recording options do quite what you would expect.
MythTV is very clever, but sometimes surprising.

Read the instructions.  :-(  Or think of am improvement to the
user interface, and then convince a programmer to implement it.

> I was thinking to use the Find and record one showing of this title every
> day, but then it will only record the repeat episode which gets broadcasted
> around noon (yes they use same description and title) . Record at any time
> results in 4 recordings per day (they love repeating in Belgium) .

Repeats are cheap.

> A great way to solve this would be a parameter that allows some tolerance to
> this timeslot for example 5 minutes, so that if a program would change to a
> 5 minutes earlier or a 5 minutes later airing, it would still be recorded
> and not simply ignored as happens now.

I have been pondering similar issues.

I would like to suggest either renaming record timeslot or using a
different failure mode for when the EPG data changes.

Most comprehensible would be if record this timeslot actually recorded
a timeslot.  i.e.  If the user selected a program listed as 6:30 to
7:00 then record from 6:30 to 7:00 even if the EPG changes.  Afterwards
label it with whatever happened to be broadcast.  There would be a
bonus of no extra load on the scheduler.

If only I could think of a better name, I'd type it here...  suggestions
welcome.

Apparently it is possible to do things with MythWeb or custom rules, but I
am not expert in either.

Find daily will assume that the episode that you click on is the main
episode of the day.  So click on the 6:30 entry and it should find one
per day in the 6:30 to 6:30 window.  BUT it will be confused by EIT
jitter.  I suspect that this could be improved by actually using a window
of a bit before 6:30 to a bit before 6:30.  Now, think of an interesting
value or algorithm for, "a bit before".

> Does this exist ? Any ideas ?

Many ideas, but not all of them are sensible.  :-(