[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250 vs SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-US

Randy Evans revans42 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 00:54:06 UTC 2011

I have been using a HDHomeRun with MythTV for about two years.  At
various intervals, I had one HD channel which would suddenly start
pixilating (sp?) to the point of being unwatchable.  This channel
would stay that way for several months, then suddenly start working
again.  This channel again went bad a couple of weeks ago and I
decided to connect the antenna directly to the TV to test it and it
came in just fine.  Note I connected the same coax cable to the tv as
is used with the HDHomeRun box.

I ordered a  WinTV-HVR2250 and just tried it in my backup MythTV box
and the problem channel came in fine but not on the MythTV box still
using the HDHomeRun.

The HDHomeRun box is running the latest firmware and I have no
explanation for why it would cycle between working/not working over a
period of months but it does.

This isn't meant as a criticism of SiliconDust but I thought I would
document it in case anyone else is seeing weird behavior on just one
channel.

Thanks,
Randy