[mythtv-users] Possible 'holy grail' of frontends?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 7 00:16:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Exactly.  Larger.  Noisier.

Larger doesn't imply noisier in general.  Bigger systems can use
bigger fans that move the same air with a lower RPM rate and that
usually means less noise.  There's nothing louder than a 1U rack
mount...

> And you're not tucking that neatly behind the wall-mounted TV.

Right, but that's precisely my point.  Small has a cost.  What's it
worth to you?  Do you live on a submarine?  Go as small as you can
get.  For me, I have a house with rooms big enough that I can
sacrifice two cubic feet without much loss.

> Oh wow.  I didn't even notice first time around that this isn't even
> VDPAU capable.

Ok, it was the best I could find in 2 minutes of poking around on New
Egg.  Had I spent 4 minutes I'm sure I could have found something
better, but, even still, it has these things called "expansion slots"
where you can add in whatever you want.  You could easily make that
system VDPAU capable and still keep it under $300.  My point was that
you can get a machine with a real CPU for about the same cost as many
Atom systems.

Eric