[mythtv-users] Possible 'holy grail' of frontends?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 6 21:22:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 04:24:32PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>
> > wrote:

> >> Indeed.  I question that too, with flash supporting vdpau now.
> >
> > Right.
>
> Michael T. Dean's overly sarcastic remarks earlier in this thread were
> trying to point out that flash support for vdpau at this time is so
> limited as to be basically non-existent in practical terms, as it
> requires the web site operator to do something special in order to
> enable this sort of acceleration, and very few such operators actually
> do it.
>
> An atom/ion system can do some things very well.  If you find yourself
> in a position where you want to do something which isn't one of those
> things, it will do it very poorly.  It's just not a very future proof
> system.

    It's hard to know what the future will bring. I thought my Macs were
future proof. It turned out that I was wrong. New tech came along and quickly
made them very expensive doorstops. It's hard to say what the next curveball
will be. So pushing people to spend a lot of money or put a lot of effort
into custom machine builds may not make sense in the long run.

    My (cheap) asrocks might not "stand the test of time" but at least they
only cost me half as much as my previous generation of frontend hardware.

    They were pretty simple to deal with too.