[mythtv-users] Possible 'holy grail' of frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 6 19:11:07 UTC 2011

On 09/06/2011 02:33 PM, linux guy wrote:
> Do you need that much processing power ?

No, you can live with a limited system that can't do Flash playback***
and that only decodes good-quality video without any errors and that's
in the formats/profiles supported by VDPAU.

*** Unless the website chooses to allow VDPAU support by limiting how
they can use the video.  Though, since web sites that provide video
seldom try to do things like micro-manage the experience and add eye
candy effects, I'm sure they'll all just enable Stage Video and be happy
to live without the additional control using Flash Video objects provide
so that they can support GNU/Linux users--even though things work
perfectly fine on Windows-based systems even using the Flash Video
objects approach (see
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/stage_video.html and
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/stage_video.html ).
Looks like you can watch your YouTube garbage using VDPAU, though.  And
Big Buck Bunny--if you don't want to just download it and watch it with
a real video player.  And, one day, vimeo videos--it says "coming soon".

> Do you need a BD in every front end ?

BD is optional.  The only challenge is finding one configured with a DVD
drive, instead, since ASRock doesn't provide direct purchasing options
allowing you to customize it your way.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Vision3D/index.asp?c=Models shows
specifications , and notice that the "D" models (137D and 146D) have DVD
drives (under "ODD"--meaning Optical Disc Drive, not that using a DVD
would be odd, IMHO).

> I'm in the process of testing an Eee Box PC.
>
> - $200 (less RAM and HD, but with video, sound and Wifi.)
> - Nearly totally silent.
> - Mounts to the TV mount if you want.
> - No IR receiver.
> - Very low power draw.
> - Totally self contained.
>
> Should I be looking at something else ?

The entire list probably knows what I think of the Atom-bomination
created by Intel.  "Energy efficiency through placing an artificial
ceiling on power draw and computing performance and making it sell for a
cut-rate price by chopping out useful functionality including idle mode
power savings" is one approach--but I'll take the "energy efficiency
through effective idle mode power savings and/or frequency scaling, but
allowing sufficient headroom to actually do computations including
software decode of video and audio of the formats I'd be likely to use
on a MythTV box," any day.

Mike