[mythtv-users] UK users - more Freeview services becoming available

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:51:11 UTC 2011

On 6 September 2011 17:45, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 16:29 +0100, Tim Draper wrote:
> > we need better and more reliable DSL for this to work. another forum
> > im on is discussing a similar thing (well, general dsl reliability)
> > and i brought up internet TV. i hate the idea of IPTV. i only get 5meg
> > dsl (limited by exchange distance), so i doubt it'd be able to handle
> > broadcast video along with general internet browsing.
>
> 5 Mb/s should be ample to view most iPlayer streams.  The Beeb suggest
> at least 2 Mb/s but in practice the streams average around 1.5 Mb/s or
> less.  Many programs are offered at a higher definition which require
> >=5 Mb/s.  The standard definition streams are much lower quality than
> off-air SD.
>
> that wasnt very well worded. what i ment is i currently get 5meg, but if i
were start 'multitasking' on the same line, then it would start to become
problematic. 5meg was an 'at best' speed.  i sync around 5.3meg. reality is
more around 450kb/s download.
yes - enough for most of what iplayer/4od offer and as per other replies, i
am on the better end of the scale, speed-wise, but far from being able to
reliably support broadcast-quality streams if other people are using the
line.

weirdly, it's slowly been going up since i moved into this house 3 years
ago; started off with 3meg.

> My ADSL connection averages around 8 Mb/s and generally easily supports
> an iPlayer streams plus basic browsing.  However, there are occasional
> high latencies which can result in start/stopping if encountered during
> the early seconds of playback before the buffer is well filled.  It's
> not perfect yet.
>
> thats another 'problem'. i do game which as most people know, is highly
susceptible to other line activity. fair enough, that's the nature of
latency/throughput reliant services though.
again, QOS would work around this, but does take a while to configure,
especially when you haven't implemented it in practice yet. maybe i need to
setup another ipcop router....