[mythtv-users] Options for connecting a HD-PVR

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Mon Sep 5 16:36:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have just about finished setting up a MythTV FE for HD.  Next I need
the ability to record HD for time shifting.  I'm going to use a
Hauppauge HD-PVR connected to the second set of outputs (component)on my
cable box (since my cable provider, TW, codes everything as no copy).

The problem I have is that the TV, MythTV FE, and cable box are in one
room, the MythTV BE is in another.  If I put the HD-PVR with the BE, I
have a problem getting the video component signal (from the cable box)
to the HD-PVR.  If I put the HD-PVR with the FE (cable box et al), I
have a problem getting the usb data/control signals (from the HD-PVR) to
the BE.  There is a network switch with open slots at both the FE and
the BE locations.

One solution would be to put the HD-PVR with the FE, make the FE also a
slave BE, then connect the HD-PVR to it -- data could then passed from
the combined FE/slaveBE to the master BE via the e-net connection.  That
looks to be very complex and likely loaded with hidden problems.

Another solution would be to put the HD-PVR with the FE, (no slave BE),
use a "usb over e-net" converter to get the data/control signals to and
from the HD-PVR to the master BE.  My biggest concern with this option
is how well the usb/e-net converters work.

Another solution would be to put the HD-PVR with the BE and rent another
cable box to put there as well.  But I don't really like TW enough to
want to pay them for screwing with the copy flags.

I'd appreciate any experience, tips, comments, suggestions on this.  Thanks!

Joe Henley