[mythtv-users] LiveTV zapping speed

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Sep 4 21:58:50 UTC 2011

On 11-09-03 03:31 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> In order to ensure the frontend does
> not get starved of data, it enforces a couple second lag.

Yeah, in the recent discussion we had about this I proposed that the
frontend should not have to read the stream slightly behind the writer,
therefore imposing this lag.  But as was pointed out, the VFS probably
ensures that the read least doesn't physically go to disk, so that's
probably a moot issue anyway.

But there is this lag introduced to ensure the frontend doesn't starved.
 But why should it ever be, as long as it is not playing back faster
than the backend is writing?  The only way a starvation of any kind
could be effected is if the frontend is trying to read bigger chunks
than the delay between the frontend and backend allows to be written.
Of course, fewer bigger reads are better than lots of smaller ones, but
when the data is in the cache already, perhaps the small read penalty is
minimized and therefor also the "lag delay" can be minimized.

b.