[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Frans Grotepass grotepass at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 06:54:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:55:43 +0930
Brendan Pike <brendan at dbinformatics.com.au> wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade my existing Mac-Mini, although its intel based it
> struggles if I play true 1080p content through it.  So I would like to
> know people's opinions regarding what makes the best front-end now
> days.  I see Boxee has a reasonable looking app. for Myth too.
>
> I could build my own shoe-box PC, upgrade to a faster mac-mini, go
> boxee what other options are there that provide best bang for buck?

My system is built with ATI Radeon HTPC MB such as MA785GMT-UD2H.
Similar intel platforms are also available. On this I planned a dual
core low tdp CPU but ended with a quad core. At the time of building
the TDP of AMD was better, but Intel looks better now. The "T" series
processors run at 35W. AMD Regor "u" range has versions in there with a
TDP of 25W. My system is not fanless and in a big box. The size does not
matter to me. It is very quiet, though. With a big box it is easier
channel wiring to ensure a clean flow of air.