[mythtv-users] Why do I run updates?!

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Oct 30 16:26:55 UTC 2011

On 11-10-29 04:49 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> Every six months there is a raft of this from *buntu users who upgrade
> for no apparent reason.

Indeed.

> I am on the latest LTS (10.04 I think)

I used to be on my BE until I had to chase down deadlock failures, but
it was certainly my intention to stay there at least until the next LTS
(but then only after several weeks or months of "burn-in" by the "gotta
upgrade now" crowd[1]).  FWIW, my standalone FE is still LTS 10.04.3.

> and
> intend to stay there until someone proves to me that another release
> will do myth as well as my existing system does.

All the power to you.  If both of your current Ubuntu LTS and your
current Myth version continue to serve you without need for newer
features of either, by all means -- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Cheers,
b.

[1] Not that I can't resolve "distro upgrade" problems.  In fact I'd
tend to bet that I am more capable of it than the majority here with my
couple of decades of Linux experience both non-professionally and
professionally in Systems Software development roles.  I'd just rather
find more interesting things to do than resolve distro upgrade hiccups.