[mythtv-users] concatenating recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 28 16:27:21 UTC 2011

On 10/28/2011 09:43 AM, Josh Rosenberg wrote:
> Like probably many baseball fans, I wasn't planning to watch last
> night's World Series game, but eventually caught it and was glad I
> did.  I'd like to keep it around.  I've rescued the recordings from
> the auto-delete trash.  But since the game ran long, it's split over
> FOUR recordings.  The first one correctly reports as the game, but the
> last 3 are for the other programs that were scheduled for the hours
> after the game was supposed to end, but were preempted.

Not that it will help you this time, but just in case it helps someone
in the future, I thought I'd mention that this is one great reason why
it makes sense to set up even sports as real recordings instead of using
Live TV.  Since you can watch the recording in progress, it's not like
you have to wait until later than you would with Live TV.  However, by
making it a real recording, /you/ are in control rather than leaving the
network/schedule in control.

If this were a recording, you could have set a "pre-emptive" record late
on the rule.  Or, if you hadn't set a record late before the game
started and noticed that the game was going to over-run the scheduled
period, you could have extended the recording by setting an override
rule with a record late.  And you could have repeated the procedure a
couple of times since it ran so much longer than you might have expected.

My manifesto:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/387302#387302

Anyway, just something to think about for the next big game.

Mike