[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Oct 25 16:15:09 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>

> As I keep saying over and over and over again, power savings are _not_
> a feature of virtualization. Power savings is a feature of
> consolidation. Virtualization is for absolute isolation. MythTV,
> MySQL, Samba, Postfix, Dovecot, Apache, Cacti, and any number of other
> applications will all live happily right next to each other on the same
> system. In fact, since you're likely sharing the same data in Samba as
> you are using in MythTV, it in fact makes far less sense to run those
> in a virtual machine, considering one or both of them is going to have to
> access those local disks through a network share.

And as I said, the number of applications which have given up on trying
to play nice in a dark maze of twisty dependencies, and bring along all
their own components, making them *very* difficult and time-consuming to
make place nice on one distro install is an order of magnitude higher than
it was, say, 10 years ago, and getting worse.

Some things can, and should be combined, but extending that to say that
all things should -- or that all users should put in the time and effort
to figure out *how* (which should not be difficult, but now often is)...
is the place of those users.  Not of you, or me.

Cheers,
-- jra