[mythtv-users] SD Programs on HD Channels

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Oct 25 13:05:22 UTC 2011

On 11-10-25 08:42 AM, Roger Horner wrote:
> On 11-10-24 02:13 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> MythTV will automatically do this when using the software decoder.
>> MythTV does not have access to the decoded video to do the necessary
>> processing for this when using VDPAU.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that.  I have a capable enough system (Athlon II x2 245e).  I am using VDPAU because it is there and figured it would be better.  Don't even need to de-interlace (one frame* is good enough) as I have an interlaced display.  I gave it a quick try this morning and it didn't seem to switch to Full when watching a recording of Gilligan's Island on an HD channel.  Is there something else I need to set?

I wonder if the issue is that the broadcast really is in HD,
even though only the SD portion of the video frame is used for the program?
In otherwords, the letterboxing is actually part of the recorded program,
so mythtv figures it belongs there (?)

In the rest of the world, an SD show apparently quite often uses only SD for
broadcast;
not here in Canada.

??