[mythtv-users] SD Programs on HD Channels

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Mon Oct 24 18:53:14 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 24, 2011 11:09 AM, "Roger Horner"
<roger1818 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The only remaining option I can think of is to transcode SD programs to
> centre cut them down to 4:3.  While I am at it, I might as well
> down-convert it to SD and maybe even convert it to a H.264 file to save
> precious hard drive space.
>

> Mythtranscode doesn't seem to do this, so I guess I will have to use a
> User Job.and an external transcoder.  I have been looking for
> documentation on how to do this, but so far haven't found much.  What do
> I do with the files when I am done to tell Myth to use the new file and
> safely discard the old one (some scripts seem to edit the database, which
> I gather isn't recommended)?  Any recommendations on a transcoder (it
> looks like FFmpeg would work, are there better ones)?

I do this for my Roku which has a private channel that queries my
mythweb and will play an .mp4 on the Roku.  I will post you to the
thread on the Roku forums that has a modified script written by a user
there that uses Handbrake and its' ipod specs that will autodetect and
crop your picture, transcode to h264, and then update the myth database
pointing to the new file...

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33704&hilit=mythroku+krisbee&start=90#p293586

--
  Kris B.