[mythtv-users] LIRC -> Network Remote Control

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Oct 18 19:52:29 UTC 2011

On 10/18/11 3:02 PM, John Franklin wrote:
> I have been trying to figure out how to use mythbackend (no frontend)
> server LIRC to control remote frontend with network remote control
> (port number 6546 and netcat).  Has anyone done work on this before?
> I have searched Google, but have not had any luck locating any
> information.  Any suggestions on where to look and/or how to get
> started would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

I think you can do what you want much more easily, and with less
latency, than what you are trying. In my setup, I use multiple RF
remotes that transmit to a single receiver on the server. LIRC is set up
like this:

   lircd --driver=usb_uirt_raw --device=/dev/USB-UIRT
--listen= 8765

(Your driver, device and IP address will, of course, vary.) The
frontends have their Myth LIRC socket set to MFE then
reads keypress commands directly from LIRC on the server.

I also run irexec on the server and the clients, but that's not essential.